Hiring a Home Inspector?
In order to find an experienced home inspector, ask your real estate agent to recommend someone. You can also explore the American Society of Home Inspectors’ website (ASHI.org) to find a licensed professional who can help.
What to Ask Your Home Inspector?
Before you choose which home inspector you’ll hire, run down a quick list of questions, including:
- Do you specialize in residential or commercial properties?
- How long have you been a licensed home inspector?
- Are you a member of any professional organizations?
- May I walk through the home with you?
- Do you have “errors and omissions” insurance?
- Do you offer a guarantee?
If the inspector doesn’t want you to be present for the inspection, that’s a red flag—you should probably move on to someone else.